Stories about the Yamba lighthouse’s origins vary, however it would seem there was first a rudimentary structure of a platform featuring a kerosene lamp, located on the most easterly part of Pilot Hill. This was replaced in 1866 by a small wooden humpy whose shutters were opened each night to dispense the rays of a large kerosene lamp. Tenders were called for in 1878 and a permanent light was built in 1880 by W. Kinnear at a cost of 1,097 pounds. The Yamba lighthouse itself is no longer open for inspection; however it offers a panoramic view, and is a fantastic spot to enjoy a picnic. (Located on Pilot Street or take the walking track from Turner’s Beach). Highly recommended to walk to!